GPAA - Allegheny Chapter - Blog

Welcome to the GPAA Allegheny Chapter Blog!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Everyday Items have other uses!

Greetings All!

SEE BOTTOM NOTES AFTER FIELD TEST!

Yesterday, I had to go to the local Home Depot for some supplies for work.  While I was there, I found myself looking at some of the products thinking how I could use them for Prospecting.  There were Buckets, Shovels, Screwdrivers, Brushes, Flashlights, Kneepads, and a ton of other things that are fairly common to Prospecting.  But I was also looking at other things that sparked my interest.

I found myself in the Home and Garden section staring at PVC Pipe, Corrugated Pipe, and assorted other things thinking how I could build a Sucker Tube, Mini Sluice, Gravity Suction Tube, etc.....

I came across something that caught my eye for two reasons:  First, it was Gold Pan Green (yes, i know they come in all sorts of colors, but mine is the same color), and Second, it was covered in riffles!


A common Down Spout erosion guard!  When your roof protects you from the rain, it diverts loads of water into your gutters.  The gutters then empty into the down spout and flow with gravity to the ground.  Anyone who has down spouts will tell you that if you don't do something with the water coming out, it will either pool next to the foundation and cause a wet basement, or erode the heck out of your yard!  Simply put, this plastic device will save you tons of headaches as a homeowner!

But look at it again!  It's almost a perfect Mini-Sluice!  Place the wide end up stream to allow the water in.  Cut the very end of the narrow end to allow water to flow straight thru without a lot of turbidity at the end.

20 Riffles to flow over!  It is VERY light!  Less than 36" long, it can fit mostly into a backpack.  It's plastic so it won't corrode.  And best of all, it was really really cheap @ under $7!!

It has some flaws though, and I will have to test it.  There are two channels along the side of the riffles that will allow any material to slide right thru, and the riffles themselves are rather rounded.  I plan on putting dowel rods down the sides to plug the channels and divert material to always flow over riffles.  I also plan on scratching the surface a bit to create extra friction for trapping material.  And I may even sharpen the riffle tips a bit.

Field testing will take place this weekend!

Think of any other interesting items to use?  Please post in a comment!

On a personal note, I also try and recycle as much material and items as I can.  I use the overburden and concentrates left overs I bring home to beautify my yard and fill the driveway, I use coffee containers to hold material and concentrates, I have a closed loop water system for cleaning concentrates.

May you find color in your pan and friends by your side!
"Rockhound" Steve

**Edit after Testing**

I tested this item in a stream and found a few problems right off the bat.

1 - The piece is way too bouyant!  It took a huge rock to keep it down!  I think that trimming the sides and the end will help.

2 - The channels in the side need to be addressed.  I have decided to put dowel rods down the sides to help keep material on the riffles.

3 - The narrow end cap needs to be cut off to allow material to flow straight thru the box.

4 - I think i need to "rough" up the surface a bit to help trap fine materials. 

Second field test after i finsih these changes.

2 comments:

  1. Hummm... Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is someone that did the same and posted a video on youtube. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete